UFC 246 predictions — Conor McGregor vs. Cowboy Cerrone: Odds, fight card, expert picks, date
It has been a long time since fans and media have had to make a prediction for a Conor McGregor fight. After more than a year out of action, the former featherweight and lightweight champion is set to return to the Octagon when he faces Donald Cerrone in the main event of UFC 246. Despite a potential lightweight title shot for McGregor hinging on the result, the fight will be contested at welterweight.
While this fight, and the betting line, seems to all point toward McGregor getting his hand raised at the end of the night, there’s still some uncertainty heading in with Cerrone’s underrated ground game and kickboxing style. Despite his struggles of late with elite competition at 155 pounds in TKO losses to Tony Ferguson and Justin Gaethje, “Cowboy” is streaky, boasting a three-fight win streak before that with victories over Mike Perry, Alexander Hernandez and Al Iaquinta.
The rest of the card may not be the deepest UFC has ever put out on a PPV event, but it still provides a look at some big names fans will be looking forward to seeing again. The co-main event features one of the biggest fan favorites in the sport when former women’s bantamweight champion Holly Holm takes on Raquel Pennington. Plus, former lightweight champion Anthony “Showtime” Pettis is back at lightweight when he takes on Carlos Diego Ferreira.
Get ready for Saturday’s showdown in Las Vegas by listening to the State of Combat with Brian Campbell where we break down everything you need to know in the Octagon, including an in-depth preview of McGregor vs. Cerrone with Hall of Famer ‘Suga’ Rashad Evans.
UFC 246 main card
- Conor McGregor -300 vs. Donald Cerrone +250 — Welterweights
- Holly Holm -130 vs. Raquel Pennington +110 — Women’s bantamweights
- Maurice Greene -125 vs. Aleksei Oleinik +105 — Heavyweights
- Ode Osbourne -145 vs. Brian Kelleher +125 — Bantamweights
- Carlos Diego Ferreira -220 vs. Anthony Pettis +180 — Lightweights
- Maycee Barber -800 vs. Roxanne Modafferi +550 — Women’s flyweights
- Sodiq Yusuff -140 vs. Andre Fili +120 — Featherweights
- Nasrat Haqparast -330 vs. Drew Dober +270 — Lightweights
- Aleksa Camur -125 vs. Justin Ledet +105 — Light heavyweights
- Askar Askarov -150 vs. Tim Elliot +130 — Flyweights
- Sabina Mazo -110 vs. JJ Aldrich -110 — Women’s flyweights
With such a massive main event on tap, the crew at CBS Sports went ahead with predictions and picks for the main card with latest odds from MGM. Here are your pick makers: Brent Brookhouse (Combat sports writer), Brian Campbell (Combat sports writer), Matthew Coca (producer), Jack Crosby (editor), Michael Mormile (producer) and Brandon Wise (editor).